Is one of your New Year’s resolutions to get your home more organized? Even if you hadn’t given it any thought, having an organized home sets you up for success. The way you feel about your home affects your mental and physical well-being. Having a functional home also saves you time and keeps you focused on the things you want to accomplish.
To have a more organized home in the new year, implement these quick and easy tips for three key areas where you spend the most time.
Easy Organizing Tips for Your Home
- Put your large utensils in a pretty jar on the kitchen counter to free up drawer space.
- Use small plastic shelves, caddies, and dividers to optimize the space in your cabinets.
- Transfer cereal, candy, cookies, and common cooking ingredients (such as flour and sugar) into matching, labeled containers for a streamlined look. They will also be easier to organize this way because they’re all the same size.
- Incorporate an armoire into your kitchen to provide extra storage or pantry space.
- Use baskets and boxes to corral small items in a cabinet or pantry. You can also use them to create storage on open shelving that looks stylish.
THE LIVING ROOM
- Keep remote controls in a pretty box so they aren’t littering the room and are easier to find when you need them.
- Get rid of any books, magazines, DVDs, and games that you no longer use to make more space.
- Use pretty baskets and boxes on open shelving to corral toys and other miscellaneous items.
- Store extra blankets and pillows in an armoire, chest or ottoman.
- Create a play area or activity zone that has designated storage, seating, and a surface to play on so items don’t end up all over the living room.
THE HOME OFFICE
- Purge any paperwork you don’t need. You typically don’t need to keep any documents older than 7 years (with some exceptions). A great solution is to invest in an electronic organizer that will scan your items and file them digitally to get rid of as much paper as possible.
- Create a mail station that is organized and labeled. That way, your mail will never get out of hand and you’ll always be able to find what you need.
- Utilize vertical wall space by hanging organizers and shelving that reaches to the ceiling. There is a lot of storage real estate there!
- Corral cords in something like a cable caddy or by taping them to the back or bottom of your desk.
- Put your computer monitor on a desk shelf to free up more surface space. You can easily tuck the keyboard and mouse underneath it when it’s not in use.
These easy organizing tips will help you get better organized in the new year so you can focus on your goals. Give them a try!